Saturday, October 23, 2010


Our weekend started out with some excitement. On Friday we drove to Enterprise so John could rent a car for his work trip down to the North Umpqua River. We entered the parking lot and didn't pull into a spot b/c there were no openings and it was just a quick drop off. John got out, car still running, and closed the driver side door. I jumped out and closed my door to run around to get in the driver's seat.

Then we realized the car was locked. With both sets of keys still in the car. With our baby in the backseat.


Then panic.

Then really freaking out.

The car was still running! Oh no. No no no no no no.

John ran into the office to see if the Enterprise guys had a key that would work for our car, or something to pick the lock. You'd think they'd at least have something to pick a car door lock, being a car rental place and all. But no, they didn't.

The Enterprise guy came back with a hammer. You can break the window, he said.

Yes, we could break the window. John took the hammer while I ran across the street to an auto body shop. I must have looked totally panicked because the mechanic immediately stopped what he was doing and looked at me like, Ok, chill lady, I will help you.

They didn't have a slim jim (great name for lock picking tool) but he said a tow truck was in the area and would bring one over. Max ten minutes.

Ten minutes! That seemed like an eternity. But thank you, thank you. Great.

Meanwhile, John was swinging the hammer and pacing in frustration around the Enterprise parking lot. I ran back over. August was safe, but crying in his car seat. We couldn't wait ten minutes.

We were going to break the window. John started strategizing - should we break the small part of the back window? But then the glass might fall on August.

Then we had a revelation - call the cops! They can pick locks, and can probably get here faster than anyone. So I made my first 911 call. And I have to say, it was a great experience, as far as those things go. The woman was super helpful and clear and reassuring.

As soon as I got off the phone, the tow truck guy showed up with a slim jim and got to work on the driver side front door. Two minutes later, the fire truck pulled up and five firemen got to work on the passenger side front door.

Meanwhile, August had stopped crying and seemed pleasantly entertained by all the activity.

The firemen got the door open - heros! - and I practically hugged all of them. Everybody safe and sound. A happy ending.

We were so dazed by the experience that John decided not to leave on his trip until this morning. And now August and I are looking forward to a very quiet, uneventful weekend.

Oh, and for future reference - we learned this from the auto body guy - if you have to break a car window, break the main big one, NOT the small one - the small ones are actually more expensive to replace. But since I am never letting go of my keys ever again, we shouldn't have this problem.

No comments: