Monday, October 11, 2010

Pain and productivity



Thanks to pregnancy-induced carpal tunnel pain in my right hand (it's hormonal - I had it after August was born, then it went away, and now he's a year old and it's back with a vengeance) I've been very productive in the early morning hours.

When I wake up at 2 or 3 am and can't get back to sleep because of the aching/burning/tingling/throbbing in my hand and fingers, I get out of bed, careful not to wake the babe, shake my arm, stretch, do some random yoga moves, then head down to the kitchen.

And make fig preserves. Or muffins. Or beans and quinoa and squash and sweet potatoes, to stock up for the week.

The fig preserves were a canning first for me. We have a fig tree in our yard that is full of ripe fruit and I harvested three colanders full. I went to Freddie's to buy a canning kettle with wire rack, and a jar grabber, but they didn't have either. So I just got some jars and improvised. I used a pasta pot with insert to boil the jars, and burned my fingers when I pulled out the jars, but it all turned out -- the lids sealed! I didn't know that little "pop" sound would be so satisfying. It's a bit addictive. After I had filled and sealed and stored nine jars of fig preserves, I started looking around the kitchen for other things to can.

Barb, Sierra and Jesse are coming to visit next weekend (John's b-day weekend) and we're going to go to a pumpkin patch. Maybe we'll buy a bunch of good apples and make some applesauce.

As for the hand pain, I made a dr appt for this coming Thursday. Of course regular medicine is covered under my insurance. But what I really want is acupuncture - I am sure that is the cure I need, I feel better just thinking about it - and insurance doesn't cover that. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and pay for it, though. Because if I don't, our entire pantry will soon be full of sleepless 3am preserves.

No comments: