Friday, January 15, 2010

Grateful

Everyone says how having a baby and raising a child is so expensive - like you'll spend hundreds of thousands of dollars by the time they're 18.

But since having August, I've been struck by how easy it is to get amazing things for little or no money. There is a broad and generous network out there of other moms, and we're all trading, sharing and donating clothes, gear, and time. It's great to be part of this community. It's almost like I've discovered a secret underground club of these wonderful women.

Our friends and neighbors have showered us with their babies' gently used clothes, cloth diapers, bouncy chair, high chair, etc, etc. And we'll pass it all on when August is done.

One friend has been unable to breast feed her baby boy because of various complications, so I've been pumping and freezing extra milk for her. The idea of donating breast milk surprised me at first, but then seemed totally normal and right. It's a gift for me that I'm able to help her, and her baby.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I love how we can all help each other in so many different ways. It's heartening, especially when sometimes it seems like there's so much greed in the world, with everybody just out to help themselves.

I'm organizing a little neighborhood parents group b/c there are so many new babies around here. Our first meeting is Sunday. Hopefully we can keep the giving going!

No comments: