Thursday, March 20, 2008

Gabe Merkin's banana bread

I have vivid memories of driving home from winter swim team practice, with my mom listening to Dr. Gabe Merkin's health talk show on am radio (I think Mrs Stoughton probably listened to him too?)

Anyway, I found an old recipe in my notebook for Gabe Merkin's banana bread. I made it this morning - not only is it healthy, it's really good! No eggs or oil, and you don't even miss them.

6 ripe mashed bananas
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar (I used a cup of evaporated cane juice crystals)
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup raisins

(I also dumped in a cup of oats and some wheat germ)

Mix the mashed bananas with the vanilla and sugar. Mix the dry ingredients separately, then add the wet to the dry.

Bake in a greased bread ban at 350 for 45 mins to an hour.

The banana bread is really delicious with a dollop of Greek Gods honey yogurt. Yum!

No comments: